Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Night Watchman: Book Review

When I sit down to read a book, I want that book to draw me into the story from the first page. I don't want to have to suffer through a chapter or two before I really get hooked in the plot. It has been a while since I've read a book like this...a long while. That's why I was so excited to read The Night Watchman by Mark Mynheir. From the first page I was hooked. I read the 300+ page book in only a few days (which says a lot considering my limited reading time).

The book tells of policeman, Ray Quinn, who was forced into early retirement after a shooting that crippled him and killed his partner, Trisha. Feeling sorry for himself, he struggles through life searching for the reason he was left and his partner was not. When a murder-suicide of a pastor and dancer takes place at the condos he guards by night, he is drawn into investigation again by the suspected murderer's sister, needing help to clear her brother's name. After several twists and turns, and an action-packed plot, he finds that this case and his own shooting may be tied together.

I am a big fan of NCIS, and this book was right up my ally. It gives hints and leads, but you never really know the truth of the outcome until the end of the book. I like it when I can't guess the guilty party. This is definitely one to add to the nightstand pile! I loved it!

5 comments:

Trish said...

Charissa, I already have too many books to read, but I am still glad I found your blog and all of its thoughtful reviews. I am just starting to break into mysteries/crime noir but so far have found them to be wonderfully addictive. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts and recommendations.

tinabea said...

I put this book on my paperbackswap wish list. I'm # 9 on the list, so maybe I'll eventually get it. Sounds good!

Lauranie said...

Hi Charissa, thanks for visiting my blog! I am with you on limited time for reading! I love to read and when I get a book that I am into, I just can't stop until it is done!! When I was a teen, I used to stay up all night reading until I finished the book! Oh the sweet nothing to do-ness of youth! :) Good Luck with all of the giveaways!

Becky said...

Hi Charissa! Thanks for stopping by my blog Giveaway!

I just recently got hooked on NCIS. I don't know why it took me so long. I love, love, love Mark Harmon!

As for reading, I could be Lauranie's twin. I read "The Exorcist" in one massive stay up late and read-a-thon! But what you are reading sounds intriguing.

Have you ever tried swaptree [dot] com? It's an easy, free place to trade books.

Charissa said...

Becky, I haven't tried any of the book swapping sites yet. I was just telling Tina that I'm kind of attached to my books. I still have all of my college textbooks. :-) Needless to say, we need more shelf space. :-)