Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Vanishing Sculptor: Book Review

I must say, I haven't had much luck with my book choices (or the books others choose for me) lately, and I know I haven't been a great resource in helping you choose books to add to your reading list. For that, I'm extremely sorry. This will be the last book review for a while, so we only have one more bad book to share together...for now. But at least I'm honest, and I let you know when a book really isn't worth your time.

Let's start out with the summary. Evidently this book is part of a series, the Dragon Keeper Chronicles. In The Vanishing Sculptor, by Donita K. Paul, readers will meet Tipper, a young emerlindian (we'll talk about this later) who’s responsible for the upkeep of her family’s estate during her sculptor father’s absence. Tipper soon discovers that her actions have unbalanced the whole foundation of her world, and she must act quickly to undo the calamitous threat. But how can she save her father and her world on her own? The task is too huge for one person, so she gathers the help of some unlikely companions–including the nearly five-foot tall parrot Beccaroon–and eventually witnesses the loving care and miraculous resources of Wulder. Through Tipper’s story, readers will discover the beauty of knowing and serving God.

In the summary, The Vanishing Sculptor seems to have all the right elements for a successful plot--intriguing characters, mystery to draw you in, a fantasy world that adds to the drama and interest. However, when reading this book, I just wasn't drawn in. Not that I didn't want to be--I was REALLY looking for a book to love, but this wasn't the one. I made it through 4 chapters. I think the problem, for me, was that it moved too slowly. There wasn't enough to make me want to keep reading. I want the book to draw me along, teasing me with something that needs to be discovered each step of the way. That just didn't happen here. Am I being too demanding of my books? I don't think so. I only have so much time to devote to reading, and when I do give my time to something, I want to be rewarded for it. I don't want to feel like I'm in English 101, expecting a test at the end.

I think another turn-off for me in this book was the need for a glossary. I despise a book that requires a glossary. I don't mind if the author uses a made-up word in such a way that you understand it's meaning and then includes a glossary just in case you forget it's meaning later. I really mind it when the author uses a made-up word and offers no explanation in the text, requiring you to look it up while you're trying to get into the plot. No fun--back to English 101.

So, for me, this book was not a winner. If it sounds interesting to you, by all means, try it out in the local bookstore. But I'd suggest you read a little before you actually commit.

No comments: