Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Layered Pumpkin Bread

A while ago I found a recipe for layered pumpkin muffins. I made them, and while they were really yummy, they were really fussy. I think foods are fussy if they take a lot of ingredients or a lot of work. So, I searched around and found this recipe to make instead. I love that it is healthy and easy to make. My family loves it, so it is a winner for breakfast or snack at our house.

You need:

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c fat free milk (or whatever your family uses)
1/4 cup oil
2 cups flour (I use 1 c. white and 1 c. wheat)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice OR cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 80z. pkg. cream cheese (I use the low fat version)
1 tsp. vanilla

First, preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan and set aside. Mix the pumpkin, 1 c. sugar, brown sugar, eggs, milk, and oil in a large bowl. Add flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Stir until just moistened. Set aside. Beat cream cheese, vanilla, and remaining sugar until well blended.

Spoon half the pumpkin batter into the pan, followed by the cream cheese mixture and then the other half of the pumpkin batter. Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes before you take it out.

Let me know what you think if you make it.

No comments: