Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Where is God?

As I was reading this morning, I came across this verse:

"You walked off and left us, and never looked back. God, how could you do that? We're your very own sheep; how can you stomp off in anger?" Psalm 74:1 The Message

Have you ever felt like that? That God just totally walked out on you and left you high and dry? I know I have. The chapter goes on to explain that a town has been completely demolished by their enemies. There is nothing left that symbolizes God. Everything has been destroyed.

OK, so my life isn't quite that dramatic, but right now my family is going through a tough time. It has been really tempting to think that God has forgotten about us. That He has just left us to fend for ourselves. Thankfully, I know that's not true. I know because of what His word tells me and because of my life experiences. There have been many times when I thought all was lost, but God showed up and turned things around for my good...just like He promises He will do (Romans 8:28). He tells us that He will provide for our every need (Philippians 4:19). He promises that whatever we ask for (according to His will) He will give if we just believe we have received it (Mark 11:24) I keep these verses and others posted in my house so that I can keep my mind focused in the right direction. I keep hoping, keep believing that God is going to move in a big way in 2009 and turn things around.

Just a couple chapters later, the guy writing the psalm has a change of heart, too. He says,

"O God! Your way is holy! No god is great like God! You're the God who makes things happen; You showed everyone what You can do--You pulled Your people out of the worst kind of trouble, rescued the children of Jacob and Joseph." Psalm 77:13-15 The Message
I want to have a heart that God is pleased with. I want to be found faithful in the end, through the highs and the lows of life. I KNOW that God will bring us through tough times and we will be closer to Him and stronger in our faith in the end.

Has God recently brought you out of a tough time? What verses helped get you through?

No comments: